Friday, July 24, 2009

Astoria, Part 1

Well, I wasn't sure I was on vacation until I heard Carolyn's unforgettable laugh in baggage claim at the Portland Airport. It had been a rough day, but I was instantly in vacation mode when I saw her. We are having a wonderful time! LOTS of firsts and I'm sure more to come. Here's a glimpse thus far.
Our first night here Ilana had corn on the cob for the first time. She LOVED it.
The next morning we walked all around downtown Astoria. We stopped at Bowpicker for lunch. It was THE BEST fish & chips I've ever had. The fish here is amazing.

Ilana discovered ketchup. Again, she loved it! I think Carolyn's secretly trying to make her a "messy" baby while we're here.
The next day we went to the Lewis & Clark National Historic Park and walked through Fort Clatsop (this is where Zach works). Ilana slept the whole walk out...
but woke up for our picnic lunch and enjoyed the ride back - especially the fresh blackberries and huckleberries along the path we picked for her.
We came home and the sun was out - a rarity for this area. So, while Ada took a nap, the 3 of us played in the sandbox (yet another first for Ilana). It took her awhile to warm up to the idea, but eventually she really enjoyed it. I think she's doing a sic 'em in this picture. :)
After 2 short days here Ilana's caught on to getting up the stairs. She screams when she's at the top because she can't get down, but wow! she's really catching on.
We've had a wonderful time and both Ilana and Ada are swapping habits and "tricks." I'm so glad our week isn't even half over yet. We're off to the carousel today!
-H

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Carolyn, Zack, and Ada for being such good friends. I knew once you reached Carolyn you would be doing great. Nonni and PopPop miss you. It's great to see you in sweaters in a cooler, beautiful place. :-))
Love and Hugs,
Nonni

Alicia said...

Oh, how I wish I was there with you guys! Instead I'm getting ready to take a math praxis test for certification to teach middle school math! Yuck! I hope you all have a wonderful week and can't wait to hear/see more pictures and stories! Have fun!